ESA and ASA Trainees Meet Up

ESA and ASA Trainees Meet Up

  • Issue 63

Diogo Sobreira Fernandes | ESA Trainee Council Representative
sobreirafernandes@gmail.com

Daniel Hansen | ASA Resident Component Chair
dhansen10@gmail.com

5.esa-trainee-meetup

This year, the European Society of Anaesthesiology Trainee Network (ESA TN) was present at the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Annual Meeting in San Diego during October 2015. It was a great opportunity to learn how the ASA-Resident Component (ASA-RC) operates.

The ASA-RC was initiated in 1988 and since then, it has been successful in representing the American Anesthesiology trainees’ interests in order to enhance the quality of training in the USA.

Currently ASA-RC is led by Daniel Hansen, their President. It consists of a Governing Council that comprises seven officers and is responsible for conducting the business of the ASA-RC between meetings. The House of Delegates meeting takes place once each year during the ASA Annual Meeting and involves the Governing Council and one delegate per 50 residents and/or fellows per ASA Component Society. The House of Delegates is the highest authority of the ASA-RC.

The main goals of the ASA-RC for 2015 were: enhance an effective and regular communication between all its members, and focus on advocacy issues and high costs associated with the Anaesthesiology Residency in the USA. One of the goals of the ASA-RC is also to start a fruitful and bilateral collaboration with the ESA TN.

However, there is an important difference between the ASA-RC and the ESA TN that is worth pointing out. It concerns how the American Anaesthesiology trainees are enrolled in their network.

Once the American trainees initiate their residency in Anaesthesiology they are generally enrolled into the ASA by their training programs (approximately 90% of training programmes do this, residents in the remaining 10% must join ASA on their own at minimal cost) and therefore, become members of the ASA trainees’ network. In Europe, it depends on the trainees’ decisions to become ESA members. This decision involves a cost-benefit rationale, because the trainees are also potential members of many other societies, starting with their Anaesthesiology National Society.

For this reason, we do hope that in the near future ESA will address our trainees and encourage them to become members of the European organization.

In summary, we would like to propose a challenge to all the European trainees: become part of the ESA TN and let us convince you to become an active ESA TN member.